Airbag Accident Lawyer Kansas City MO
People can do many things to avoid an auto accident from occurring. However, sometimes they are unavoidable. What most people do not expect is to be in an auto accident that is made worse by the vehicle having defects. Airbags, like seat belts, serve as safety equipment meant to save lives in the event of a collision. However, like seat belts, this very equipment can also cause significant injury. When an airbag is properly deployed, it necessarily expands with astonishing speed at the moment of impact. While this bag may ultimately save a driver’s life or the life of a passenger during a crash, its deployment can also cause burns, bruising, cuts, and even broken bones. When an airbag malfunctions, and doesn’t deploy at the proper time, and/or doesn’t deploy at the correct rate, speed, and/or size, these malfunctions can cause injuries that range from superficial to fatal.
If you’ve been involved in a collision and suffered injury as a result of an airbag, please contact an experienced Kansas City, MO airbag accident lawyer with Royce Injury Attorneys LLC today. Not every airbag injury is grounds for a legal claim against an airbag manufacturer, car dealership, etc., as sometimes airbags that deploy properly cause injury even when they don’t malfunction. However, speaking with a car accident lawyer Kansas City, MO residents trust will allow you to understand whether you may be able to file legal action against someone more generally responsible for you accident. If someone else caused your accident and you suffered an airbag injury, you may be able to hold that party accountable for the challenges you suffered as a result of the collision.
When Airbags Cause Injuries
When airbags deploy, they often spew gas, dust, and chemicals into the air as they shoot out of the steering wheel or dashboard at a rate of approximately 1/20th of a second. These substances can, at best, irritate the eyes and skin. In more severe cases, these substances can burn victims. If an airbag malfunctions and sharp debris is thrown into the air during deployment, victims can suffer lacerations that range from superficial to potentially fatal. In either scenario, the eyes in particular tend to suffer damage.
Common airbag defects
- Failure to deploy. If the airbag does not do its job properly and fails to deploy, it may result in serious injuries the airbag was supposed to prevent in the first place. If there is no airbag in front of the victim, that person will fly forward at tremendous speed. Victims of this may sustain head trauma or broken bones from colliding with the steering wheel, dashboard or window at a high rate of speed. Even if the airbag deploys even a fraction of a second too late, victims can suffer the same injuries if not worse.
- Delayed Deployment. If an airbag fails to deploy at the precise second it is supposed to, a victim can suffer a wider range of injuries. The airbag can also go off when you are not expecting it to or when you are too close to it.
- Deploys at an improper angle. In order to protect passengers, airbags are designed to deploy a specific way to best protect passengers from injuries. If an airbag deploys incorrectly, there is the possibility that it may hit the person at the wrong angle in a dangerous manner and cause severe injuries.
- Deploys with great force. Airbags are designed to deploy at a fast speed with great force so someone hits it instead of the steering wheel. However, If an airbag deploys violently instead of the controlled speed, it can cause significant damage upon hitting the passenger. In the chance this does happen, that is why it is recommended to have young children in the back seat.
- Deploys at the wrong time. In a standard vehicle, airbags are designed to deploy when there is a collision at above 20 mph. If an airbag fails to deploy at the precise second it is supposed to, a victim can suffer a wider range of injuries. If an airbag deploys early, that deployment could cause a crash in and of itself. If it deploys even a fraction of a second too late, victims can suffer internal injuries, head trauma, broken bones, and fatal bleeding. On occasion airbags have been deployed randomly for no reason. If an airbag deploys and hits a person when it is not necessary, there is the possibility that it may cause injuries that would not have existed had it not deployed. Not only can a random airbag deployment cause serious injury, but it could also cause a car accident because of the sudden inflation of the bag causing visibility to be limited.
If someone was to get hurt because of an airbag defect in their vehicle, there are a few different factors that could be held liable. The manufacturer can be held liable for their product. The distributor or even the retailer of the airbag have the possibility to be held liable as well. Even though they all did not play a direct part in the collison, it was their product that was found to be defective. Even the manufacturer of the vehicle can be held liable if the vehicle had problems deploying the airbag properly causing further injury. Airbags are meant to protect. But there are times when they actually cause damage. You don’t have to know for sure whether your airbag was properly functional to speak with a Kansas City, Missouri airbag accident lawyer. If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you have questions that deserve answers, period.
Legal Assistance Is Available
Regardless of whether your airbag malfunctioned or “simply” caused you injury during deployment at the moment of impact with another vehicle or object, you may have cause to file a legal claim. Working with an experienced Kansas City, MO airbag accident lawyer at our firm will allow you to seek the maximum amount of compensation you’re entitled to under the circumstances. Please call today. Once we have spoken with you during a confidential, risk-free consultation, our Kansas City, MO airbag accident lawyer team will be able to help you make an informed decision about your options. You deserve to be compensated for your injuries caused by a negligent party. We look forward to speaking with you.