Medical Malpractice Lawyer Kansas City, MO
How to Prevent Medical Errors
Patients who suffered harm while under a medical professional’s care should speak to a medical malpractice lawyer Kansas City, MO residents trust. Unfortunately, thousands of people die each year due to medical errors. However, there are steps you can take to avoid being a victim of medical malpractice.
- Be Sure Your Doctors Know Your Health Information: Doctors aren’t mind readers, so it is important to tell them everything you can about your medical history. Doing so can help prevent many medical errors from occurring. Let them know all the medications you’re currently taking, including vitamins and supplements, and whether or not you have allergies.
- Don’t Hesitate to Ask Your Pharmacist Questions: If your doctor prescribed you medication and you don’t understand something about it, don’t be afraid to voice your concerns to your pharmacists. Medicine labels can be difficult to understand, so it doesn’t hurt to ask someone with knowledge for help. For example, if the label instructs you to take the medicine twice a day, you may want to ask the pharmacist how far apart to take the doses.
- Educate Yourself About Your Health Condition and Treatments: No matter what kind of health condition you have, it’s a good idea to learn as much as you can about it and the treatments that come along with it. Research information about available treatments options and the pros and cons of each. If your doctor recommends a certain treatment, a medical malpractice lawyer in Kansas City, MO advises to ask questions about it. Find out why you need the treatment and what sorts of risks come with it.
- Speak Up in the Hospital: If you are having a surgical procedure in a hospital, you should make certain that you, your surgeon and staff members are on the same page. This can help avoid medical errors during the surgical process. For instance, if you’re having surgery on your right foot, make sure that everyone is in agreement that it’s your right, not left foot that’s being operated on.
Questions to Ask a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you are the victim of medical malpractice, it’s important to schedule a meeting with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer in Kansas City, MO. He or she can help you file a timely lawsuit against the responsible party and improve your chances of getting fair compensation. During your consultation, be sure to ask questions about your lawyer’s experience and skills, including:
- How many medical malpractice cases do you handle a year?
- How often do your cases make it to trial?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses in my case?
- What damages are available?
- How long do you think it will take to resolve my case?
- What is the best way to get in contact with you?
If you believe that the harm you have suffered is due to a preventable medical malpractice matter, contact the experienced Kansas City, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Royce Injury Attorneys LLC today to set up a timely consultation.
Benefits of Hiring a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you suffered an injury while under a doctor’s care, you should hire a medical malpractice lawyer Kansas City, MO residents trust. Medical malpractice cases are notoriously complex, and you want someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. Here are some of the benefits of hiring a medical malpractice lawyer.
Know the True Value of Your Claim
If you don’t have a legal background, you might not know the true value of your medical malpractice claim. As such, you might accept a settlement from the insurance company that is far too low and doesn’t cover all of your damages. That is why it pays to have an experienced medical malpractice lawyer on your side. He or she has handled cases similar to yours and will know how much your case is actually worth. Your lawyer will take several factors into account before determining monetary value for your case, such as the severity of your injuries and how long you will be out of work.
Dealing with an injury that resulted from a medical error is difficult enough. If you have to handle your medical malpractice case on your own, it can just add to your stress. If you have a skilled medical malpractice lawyer on your side, however, he or she can handle all of the legwork. This way, you can have more time to recover from your injury and take it easy.
Negotiate With the Insurance Company
After you file a medical malpractice lawsuit, your medical provider’s insurance company will likely want to speak to you about your case. They may even try to make a settlement offer. While it might be tempting to accept the first settlement offer and get everything over with, you should resist the urge to do it. Insurance companies care about their bottom line first and will try to offer you a settlement that is less than you deserve. This is why you should work with a skilled medical malpractice lawyer in Kansas City, MO. He or she will know how to properly negotiate with the insurance company and won’t let them take advantage of you.
Has Motivation to Win Your Case
The majority of medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means that they take a percentage of your winnings. Since your medical malpractice lawyer in Kansas City, MO will only make money if he or she wins your case, he or she will be extra motivated to work hard. Your lawyer knows that he or she can’t slack off at any point of the process.