Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Kansas City, MO
If you were injured as a pedestrian, you need the help of a pedestrian accident lawyer Kansas City, MO recommends. When you’re walking down the sidewalk, minding your own business, you don’t expect to be hit by a car. But all too often, cars strike pedestrians causing severe injuries and even death. If you’ve been injured by a vehicle while traveling on foot, please don’t hesitate to connect with an experienced Kansas City, Missouri pedestrian accident lawyer from Royce Injury Attorneys LLC. These injuries are not your fault, even if you were texting or otherwise distracted as you walked along. Please allow our Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer team to help guide you through the legal process you now face, as your sole focus right now should be getting better. We can handle the rest.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Common pedestrian accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
There are very few car and pedestrian accidents which do not result in severe injuries to the pedestrian. Most of these injuries require lengthy medical care, sometimes for the rest of your life. This care does not come cheap, which is one of the many reasons why it’s essential to consult with an experienced Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as you can after you have sustained an injury in an accident.
Fight for Damages
Because you’re facing potentially life-altering medical needs, you’ll want to strongly consider pursuing compensation for your injuries. Our firm will fight to get you compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
Be careful of negotiating with insurance companies alone. Insurance companies are out to make money, and they don’t do that if they pay your injury claim in full. The job of the insurance adjuster is to settle your case for as little as possible. The best way for them to do that is for you to negotiate with them without a lawyer.
The insurance company will likely offer you a quick settlement, so you get cash to pay your bills. The problem is that this settlement is a low ball offer and won’t include enough funds to cover your future expenses. This means you could end up paying out of pocket for future medical costs related to this accident that you didn’t cause. We don’t want to see this happen to you.
What to Do in the Aftermath of a Pedestrian Accident
A pedestrian accident can lead to a lengthy recovery time and leave the victim unable to work for months in the face of mounting medical bills. Such injuries may leave an accident victim unable to return to their job, losing the earnings that come with it. If you or someone you love has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Kansas City, MO, you should seek the help of our trusted Kansas City pedestrian accident lawyer.
What happens during a pedestrian accident?
The severity of a pedestrian accident victim’s injuries depends on numerous factors, including the speed at which the vehicle is traveling upon impact. The angle of the impact and the body part first struck are all determiners of the seriousness of the damages. Trauma to the head, pelvis, legs, and knees are all prevalent in these circumstances.
When a car runs into an adult who is on foot, the vehicle will typically hit that individual’s legs. That unfortunate pedestrian may be propelled forward by the force of the impact, and the head and upper body may come in contact with the car hood or windshield. When a motor vehicle travels at higher speeds, the pedestrian may even be tossed into the air, hitting the hood of the car or the ground. This causes two separate impacts—the one with the vehicle and a second one with another surface.
The most frequently seen injuries in pedestrian accidents involving children are musculoskeletal injuries and traumatic brain injuries. These damages often affect the muscles and ligaments in the upper and lower legs, leading to extensive damage and long-term disability.
Three Things to Do If You are a Pedestrian Hit By a Car
You can take several steps to protect your rights after a pedestrian accident caused by a motor vehicle operator. These include:
- Get medical treatment: Even if you think you do not need emergency medical care after being injured in a pedestrian accident, it is still advisable for you to see a doctor and have a medical evaluation. If you were struck by a vehicle traveling at a low speed, you might not feel the full extent of the injuries until hours or days afterward. If there is a delay in getting medical treatment, an insurance company or their lawyer can argue you weren’t hurt enough to warrant compensation.
Many pedestrians hit by cars are very sore the next day. You should be examined for any potential injuries. A doctor can screen you for a concussion, which may not be readily apparent. And remember, a doctor’s evaluation identifying your injuries and the need for medical treatment will be helpful when you pursue a pedestrian accident personal injury claim.
- Call the police: After being struck by a vehicle, summon the police to the accident scene and have them file a report. If you aren’t able, have someone else report the accident to the police. A police accident report offers an official record and may decide fault in the accident. A police accident report can be a crucial starting point for a personal injury lawyer’s investigation of your accident.
- Get legal help: Schedule a consultation with a Kansas City, Missouri pedestrian accident lawyer. It is essential to have an experienced pedestrian accident attorney review your case and present you with your legal options.
Get the Right Help Today
Your injuries are severe, and your life has changed. You need someone who has compassion and understanding of these life changes. But you also need someone who will aggressively represent you to maximize your personal injury recovery. You don’t have to go through the aftermath of your accident alone. Our Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer team from Royce Injury Attorneys LLC has the dedication and experience you need to help you maximize your injury recovery, so please call us today.
The Difference Between an Insurance Claim and a Lawsuit
The process of managing a personal injury on your own can be complicated, which is why it’s in your best interest to contact a pedestrian accident lawyer Kansas City, MO visits trust as quickly as possible. While your injuries are sure to be extensive and require your full attention, it’s essential also to consider consulting with a lawyer like our team at Royce Injury Attorneys LLC. There are many recommendations we may make regarding your case. Specifically, whether pursuing an insurance claim or filing a lawsuit against the defendant is in your best interest. Before making this decision, it may help understand the difference between each of these and the advantages and disadvantages they provide.
While these two terms are often used interchangeably, it’s essential to understand that they are different components to the legal process.
Understanding an Insurance Claim
An insurance claim is often filed as a personal injury claim with the insurance company. Depending on where you live, claimants have the option to file a claim for the damages they have suffered from either their own insurance company or the responsible parties’ insurance company. Once you file an insurance claim, it will be assigned to an insurance adjuster for investigation and review. They may contact you to ask questions regarding the incident and your losses as well. This is a reason it may be in your best interest to contact a pedestrian accident lawyer in Kansas City, Missouri, for the knowledge, experience, and support they provide. They will work with you to assign a fair value to the claim and negotiate with the insurance company to obtain the compensation you deserve. Filing an insurance claim offers several advantages, but it’s essential to know that there are disadvantages as well:
Advantages to an Insurance Claim Include:
- Typically most insurance claims settle faster than a lawsuit.
- These disputes can be resolved without stepping foot into a courtroom, which can involve stressful litigation.
- Negotiating a settlement allows parties to have a say so in the outcome of the case. During negotiations, each party determines whether they will accept the settlement offer or continue negotiations.
- Settling an accident claim keeps things private for both plaintiffs and defendants.
Disadvantages to an Insurance Claim Include:
- Insurance companies are looking to pay out as little as possible, putting plaintiffs at risk of accepting a settlement offer far lower than they could have obtained through negotiation.
- Victims may receive a lower settlement amount than if they were to proceed with litigation.
Understanding a Lawsuit
Your lawyer will likely recommend that you first pursue a claim with the insurance company to gain a fair settlement. If a settlement offer is unable to be reached through negotiations with the insurance company, it may be appropriate to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. This allows victims to access the legal system to obtain compensation for the damages they are facing. Your lawyer will work to prove that the defendant is at fault for the accident and ultimately responsible for your losses. These cases are often decided upon by a judge and jury. Advantages and disadvantages to be aware of when pursuing a personal injury lawsuit include:
Advantages to a Personal Injury Lawsuit
- A lawsuit that is ruled in the plaintiff’s favor may yield higher compensation than if the case were settled through the claims process.
Disadvantages to a Personal Injury Lawsuit
- Involves navigating the complex legal system
- Litigation can be a long, drawn out process, and it can take a significant period before a resolution is reached.
- A trial can be fairly unpredictable as neither party will know the outcome until the court renders a judgment.
- Attorneys fees may be costlier.
- If your case is unsuccessful, plaintiffs risk walking away with no compensation to speak of.
Injuries from a pedestrian accident can be severe and even catastrophic, forever impacting the life you once knew. Royce Injury Attorneys LLC is available and prepared to provide victims with the legal assistance necessary to fight your case to the end. Not only will we advise you throughout the claims process, but we will also prepare for litigation should it be necessary. To get started, schedule a consultation with our Kansas City, MO, pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible.