a Free

Vehicle Defects Lawyer Kansas City, MO

Schedule a Free Consultation

What Should I Do if an Uninsured Driver Hits Me as a Result of Vehicle Defect?

Vehicle Defects Lawyer Kansas City, MOAt Royce Injury Attorneys LLC, personal injury law is all we do. Whether you’ve been hurt on the job or had a vehicle defect, you can count on our Vehicle defects lawyer Kansas City, MO and investigators to work for you.

Virtually all US states require you to have and maintain auto insurance in order to register your vehicle and get and renew your driver’s license. Minimum mandatory coverages vary from state to state, but in general, these amounts consist of the following:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
  • $10,000 per accident for property damage

Despite these laws, however, numerous drivers take to the road each day without insurance. In fact, the Insurance Research Council estimates that nearly 13% of motorists, or about one in eight drivers, are uninsured. So what can you do if one of them hits you and causes you injury?

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

In all likelihood, your own auto insurance policy includes uninsured motorist coverage. While most states don’t require you to buy such coverage, they do require all insurance companies operating in the state to offer this option to you.

Typically, uninsured motorist coverage mirrors your own liability insurance. In other words, if you have only the minimum amounts of insurance required by your state, your uninsured motorist coverage limits will match your policy limits for per-person and per-accident bodily injury and property damage.

Filing a claim with your own insurance company may be your surest way of obtaining compensation to cover your bodily injury and property damage expenses. Remember, however, that depending on your coverages, these amounts may be insufficient to cover all of your expenses. Also keep in mind that uninsured motorist coverage doesn’t pay for your pain and suffering or other noneconomic losses.

Filing a Lawsuit

Your other option is to file a lawsuit against the person whose negligence caused your accident and therefore your injuries. In addition to suing the driver himself or herself, you may also be able to include the company for which he or she works, or possibly the manufacturer or seller of the vehicle if a mechanical or other defect contributed to the accident. Winning such a lawsuit or obtaining a favorable settlement from the defendant’s insurance company should cover the costs not only of your bodily injuries, but also your noneconomic damages, both now and in the future.

Obtaining Legal Representation

As with all types of motor vehicle accidents in which you sustain injuries, consulting our experienced Vehicle defects lawyer Kansas City, MO at Royce Injury Attorneys LLC as soon as possible after the accident represents your wisest course of action. Our car accident lawyer in Kansas City, MO undoubtedly will not only be familiar with the laws of your state regarding uninsured drivers, but also should be able to advise you of all your options going forward.

Our Successes

$6,000,000 Wrongful Death

Settlement to family of wrongful death victim from a collapsed elevator door.

$2,000,000 Medical Malpractice

Settlement for failure to diagnose lung cancer.

$4,000,000 Hospital Malpractice

Trial Verdict for failure to treat diabetic ketoacidosis.